I made some mince pies with the Princess of Power and Twirly Boy the other day - cleverly using the pre-rolled sweet pastry I had in the freezer which was meant for the banoffee pie. Doh! I have to admit I couldn't be faffed to make my own pastry this time, so decided instead to use my friend S's caramel slice recipe as the starting point:
Banoffee Pie a la Cherrypie!
For the biscuit base
1 cup plain flour
1 cup soft brown sugar
1 cup dessicated coconut
125 g melted butter
For the caramel
1 large tin condensed milk
2 tbsp golden syrup
4-5 medium bananas
250ml double cream
- Preheat oven to 180 C. Grease a 8 inch cake pan.
- Mix all the base ingredients together. Press into the cake pan, and bake for 10 minutes.
- Add the condensed milk, syrup and butter to a pan. Preferably a non stick as it will be much easier to clean out the toffee later.
- Bring to the boil, and simmer for 4 minutes, stirring all the time.
- Spread the hot toffee sauce (looks quite fudgy at this stage) over the biscuit base.
- Return the tin to the oven, and bake for further 10 mins at 180 C.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- When completely cool, slice the bananas and arrange over the toffee.
- Top with whipped cream. Decorate with chopped nuts, dusted chocolate etc.
The buffet was really lovely. My desert was just one of many contributions (all of which were scrummy). I was chuffed to bits though when the host told me that it was one of the best he had tasted. As he is a master connoseur of banoffee pie (!) I took this as praise indeed.