Sunday 31 December 2006

Cheese Fondue

We had cheese fondue for dinner tonight, shamelessly copying (although I preferred to say 'inspired by') my friend Claire who is serving fondue for her Hogmanay party!
MacMan and I were given a gorgeous Le Crueset fondue set for a wedding present from some friends from my nursing days - who I've now sadly lost touch with as we've all moved and moved on. It's cool to think that we're still getting use from our lovely set over 14 years on, and I always think of them when we use it. We don't do fondue very often, and I'm not sure why as it's really pretty easy, and the kids certainly thought it was great fun.
Anyway, big thanks to Claire for the idea. It went down really well hear. I hope your hogmanay guests enjoy it as much as we did.

Cheese Fondue

1 clove garlic
quarter pint white wine
8oz cheddar grated
8oz gruyere grated (couldn't find gruyere here, but MacMan managed to get a very good Australian cheese that was very similar)
1 tsp cornflour
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp castor sugar
1 tbsp kirsch (though I have to say I never bothered with that; I'm not buying a whole bottle of kirsch for one blimmin tbsp!)
1/2 tsp dry mustard (I used my old faithful grainy mustard)
ground black pepper
  • Rub clove of garlic inside fondue pan.
  • Add the wine to pan - reserving one tbsp.
  • Add all cheeses and stir well until melted.
  • Blend remaining wine with cornflour, lemon juice, sugar and kirsch, mustard and pepper.
  • Stir into fondue. Cook until thickened.
  • Dunk crusty bread, raw veg, pickled onions etc.

No comments: