Tuesday 9 January 2007

Kumara Muffins

I baked these last night to take as part of a picnic lunch for our day out. If I'm honest, it was mainly out of curiosity as I couldn't imagine what a muffin would taste like with kumara. We conveniently had a pan of mashed kumara left over from dinner, as MacMan was called into work early and missed his dinner.

Kumara Muffins
Makes 12 standard size

350g (about 3 medium) kumara, peeled
3/4 cup plain flour
3/4 cup wholemeal flour (I used all plain, as I keep forgetting to buy wholemeal)
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp ground nutmeg
t tsp ground allspice
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup raisins
2 eggs, beaten
100g butter, melted
1/2 cup milk

  • Cook kumara until tender. Mash, and allow to cool.
  • Preheat oven to 200C
  • Sieve together flours, baking powder and soda, spices and salt. Add sugar. Stir in raisins and kumara.
  • In separate bowl, mix eggs, butter and milk.
  • Stir egg mixture into dry ingredients. Combine together.
  • Spoon into prepared muffin pan, either greased or lined with cases.
  • Bake 15-20 minutes.
When I first flicked through the book to peruse the recipes, I'd presumed that the kumara muffins would be savoury. But no - they're sweet and cakey, with raisins and spice. Lovely with a cuppa.

2 comments:

Claire said...

I don't know what a kumara is! Is it some sort of root vegetable?

Cherrypie said...

They're sweet potatoes. Most commonly the yellow variety seem to be sold here, but the red ones are available too. I used the yellow ones. HTH. xx