Rhubard and Plum (or Peach!) Crumble
For fruit base:
4 peaches, washed (or 8 plums!)
100g soft butter
250g brown sugar (recipe recommends demerera, but I used soft brown as I love the treacly flavour)
6 sticks rhubarb, cut into chunks
150g plain flour
1 tsp ground cinnamon
80g demerera sugar (I used 'coffee crystals' which is like demerera only bigger bits, to give a crunch to the topping)
4 tbsp chopped nuts
- My simplified version of TR's is to put all the fruit together in an oven proof dish. Scatter with the brown sugar and dot butter over the fruit.
- Bake in a preheated 180C oven for 25 minutes.
- In the meantime, rub the flour, cinnamon in with the butter for the topping until the mixture looks like breadcrumbs.
- Add chopped nuts and sugar. Mix in gently with your fingers.
- Sprinkle the topping over the cooked fruit, and return to the oven for another 20 minutes.
This was a lovely way to cook a crumble. I served it with some fresh cream. Baking the fruit rather than stewing it stopped it from going mushy. The crumble topping had a lovely crunch, and the cinnamon was a nice twist too.