Serves 4 (generous portions)
1kg stewing steak
2 tsp paprika
4 onions, sliced
300ml red wine
2 bay leaves
1 clove garlic
3 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp natural yogurt
4 tomatoes peeled and sliced (I used a can whole tomatoes)
- Preheat oven 150C.
- Cut the meat into large chunks. Coat in the flour.
- Brown the meat in the olive oil in a saucepan. Transfer to casserole dish.
- Brown the onions, and add to the meat, along with the tomatoes, bay leaves, prunes, garlic, paprika and wine. Bring to the boil on the stove.
- Cover casserole dish with a lid, and cook 3-4 hours or until the meat is tender.
- Stir in yogurt just before serving.
- Recipe suggests serving with pan roasted potatoes and green vegetables. We had rice instead - which worked well too.