Makes about 35 biscuits, depending on size of cutters
50ml maple syrup
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp gound cinnamon
Pinch ground cloves
1/2 tsp ground cardamom
100ml single cream
100g butter, softened
250g plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
- Put the maple syrup and spices in a small saucepan over a low heat, stirring to dissolve the spices. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Beat sugar and butter together until sugar dissolves. Add the egg. Mix in flour and baking powder, and maple syrup mixture.
- Mix well with a wooden spoon, until the mixture is thick and smooth.
- Cover the dough with a plastic wrap, and place in fridge for at least 3 hours or even overnight. (At this stage I thought the mixture looked like a thick cake mixture, and couldn't see how it would turn into a dough! I left mine overnight, and it really did thicken up a lot. It was a bit sticky though, but with generous flouring of the surface, it was fine).
- Preheat oven to 190C.
- Take large lumps of dough, and roll out on a floured surface with a floured rolling pin to 5mm thickness. Cut shapes with your cookie cutters, and place on paper lined baking trays.
- Bake for 12-15 mins. Cool on wire racks.