Saturday 6 January 2007

Jammy Dodgers

I'd heard about Tana's recipe for homemade jammy dodgers even before I'd decided to get the book. If I'm really honest, this was also one of the reasons I chose this particular book!! Mad - I know. But Jammy Dodgers were such a childhood treat, to be able to make homemade ones sounded really fab.

Homemade Jammy Dodgers
Makes 25 biscuits

225g unsalted butter, diced
100g sugar
200g plain flour
100g ground almonds
150g raspberry jam
icing sugar for dusting (optional)

  • Mix butter, sugar, flour and almonds altogether in a large bowl. Wrap in cling film and put in the fridge for at least 5 hours.
  • Remove dough from fridge and knead until it softens enough to shape and roll out.
  • Sprinkle some flour on the work surface, and roll out the dough one third at a time. The dough should be about 5mm thick.
  • Cut out an even number of shapes (a 6cm cutter is recommended). Cut out the centres of half of the cookie shapes.
  • Place on a greased baking sheet (or I always use baking paper as I find it is more reliable!)
  • Bake for 30 minutes at 140C.
  • Remove from oven, and immediately place on a cooling rack to stop the biscuit bottoms from overcooking.
  • Place a generous blob of jam in the middle of the complete biscuits, and place a cut-out biscuit on the top.
  • Dust icing sugar on the top if desired - I didn't, as I thought they looked more authentic without.

These biscuits were really delicious, so much so that MacMan and Twirly Boy have both requested they be made again. The Princess of Power made lot of yummy noises, and asked for more. In true jammy dodger fashion, her fascination lay with the jam oozing out of the centre! I do have to say though that the biscuit dough nearly drove me to distraction when rolling it out. Despite the pin and surface being well floured, it stuck to both, but at the same time was quite crumbly. I mixed the dough in the food processor, and I'm wondering if it's better to mix by hand using the rubbing in method. I'll try that next time.

No comments: