It was really tasty and flavoursome. I really enjoyed it despite having funny cold tastebuds. Like most of this week's menu, it's another recipe from 'Cafe Collection' by Julie le Clerc.
Beef and chorizo pies
1/4 cup olive oil
1 kg braising beef steak
3 chorizo or spicy sausages, sliced
2 onions, peeled and sliced
2 cloves garlic, crushed
5 tbsp flour
1 cup dry red wine
3 cups beef stock
(I only had 2 cups stock, so used 2 cups wine instead of one)
3 tbsp tomato paste
1 tbsp chopped thyme
salt and pepper
1 beaten egg to glaze
Ready rolled puff pastry - 4 sheets
- Brown the beef and chorizo in a hot pie with some of the olive oil. Remove to one side.
- Add remaining oil to pan, with the onions and garlic. Stir over a medium heat until starting to brown. Stir in flour and cook for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat, and stir in wine and stock to form a smooth liquid. Return to heat and boil until sauce thickens.
- Stir in tomato paste and thyme.
- Add meat and chorizo (At this stage I added everything to the slow cooker, and simmered for about 3 hours). If stove top cooking, simmer for about 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Spoon into 8 1-cup capacity individual pie dishes.
- Cover with pastry lid, press down around edge to secure. Glaze pastry with beaten egg.
- Bake 20-25 minutes until pastry is golden brown.
- Serve! We had ours with mashed potato and broccoli. Yum!