Monday 5 February 2007

Apple cider chicken with sage

No prizes for guessing where this recipe came from! When I planned this week's menu, I didn't cotton on that it was all from the same recipe book. Doh! Most of the recipes are completely new to me though as the book was a Christmas present.
In common with all the other recipes I've tried from Cafe Collection this week, it was a hit. Even the Princess of Power had a good go at hers - which is no mean feat!! I served the chicken with potato wedges, oven cooked in olive oil and sea salt, and steamed broccoli. My only change to the recipe was that I used chicken breasts rather than thighs, as they were on special offer!!

Apple cider chicken with sage
Serves 4

8 large boneless chicken thighs
5 cloves garlic, chopped
small bunch fresh sage leaves
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 1/2 cups apple cider
1/2 cup chicken stock
salt and pepper
1/4 cup brown sugar
3 apples, cored and sliced into thin wedges
extra oil to fry apples
(I ommitted the apple garnish)
  • Place chicken in a non metallic dish. Cover with the garlic, sage leaves, olive oil, balsamic, and apple cider. Leave to marinate overnight.
  • Heat oven to 180C. Transfer chicken and marinade to a roasting pan. Add stock and seasoning, and sprinkle with brown sugar. Bake for 30 minutes.
  • Meanwhile fry apple slices until golden brown.
  • Remove chicken from juices, and keep warm with apples. Reduce juices until syrupy. Pour over chicken and serve immediately.

No comments: